This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the Alabama insurance license requirements established by the Alabama Department of Insurance. We recommend you contact the Alabama Department of Insurance for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete an Alabama insurance pre-licensing course
In order to sell insurance in Alabama, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the Alabama Department of Insurance.
Once you complete your Alabama pre-licensing insurance course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. This education is valid for one year from your date of completion. Within one year of completing your education, you will need to pass your Alabama insurance license exam.
Step 2: Pass an Alabama insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your state licensing exam is provided by The University of Alabama. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation. All reservations need to be made at least seven days (five business days) before the desired exam date. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone:
- Online: Visit http://training.ua.edu/insurance-testing/.
- Phone: Call (205) 348-3000.
What to bring to your exam
Bring a current form of identification (a valid driver’s license, non-driver ID, passport, military ID, or employee ID card).
You will be required to present a notarized copy of your Alabama insurance pre-licensing education Certificate of Completion at the exam.
Alabama insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- Your insurance exam will be graded immediately upon submission.
- If you pass, you will be provided an original passing certificate certifying that you passed the exam. You will also receive instructions on how to complete the application process and receive your insurance license.
- Your passing grades will be reported within 3-5 days electronically to the State of Alabama Department of Insurance.
- The passing certificate is valid for a period of one year from the exam date, during which time you should file your online license application with the State of Alabama Department of Insurance.
- Your passing certificate will not be awarded until the monitor views passing results.
- If time allows, you will be given the opportunity to review the questions that you missed.
Step 3: Have your fingerprints documented
Effective April 1, 2015, all individual Alabama applicants seeking to become licensed as Producers, Adjusters, or Title Agents must complete a fingerprint background check. You should get fingerprinted after passing the Alabama state insurance exam and one day before applying for the license.
Step 4: Apply for an Alabama insurance license
After passing the exam, apply for your Alabama insurance license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com. After 5 days, check http://aldoi.gov, and go to the License Search under Producers/Agents to confirm issuance of your Alabama insurance license and print it for your records.
For more information regarding Alabama insurance license requirements, contact the Alabama Department of Insurance.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business