This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the California insurance license requirements established by the California Department of Insurance. We recommend you contact the California Department of Insurance for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete a California insurance pre-licensing course
To sell insurance in California, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the California Department of Insurance.
Once you have completed your California pre-licensing insurance course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that you must submit to the California Department of Insurance. The Certificate of Completion is valid for three years from your date of completion. Within one year of completing the course, you must pass your California insurance license exam.
Note: In California, 12 additional hours of Ethics & Code must also be completed for the following lines of insurance:
- Life Only Agent
- Accident & Health Only Agent
- Life, Accident & Health Agent
- Fire/Casualty Broker-Agent
- Personal Lines Broker-Agent
- Limited Line Automobile Agent
Step 2: Have your fingerprints taken
You can have your fingerprints taken either before or on the date of your California insurance license exam in one of three locations:
- PSI Exam Sites: Visit http://www.psiexams.com for more information.
- California Department of Insurance (CDI) Exam Sites: Before you take your exam, schedule to have your fingerprints taken with Accurate Biometrics—CDI’s contracted fingerprint vendor—at (866) 361-9944 or http://www.accuratebiometrics.com. Bring a completed Live Scan request form (442-39A) to the appointment.
- Department of Justice (DOJ) Vendors: Check with the DOJ for a list of approved Live Scan fingerprinting vendors. Visit http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php.
Note: The CDI must wait to receive your fingerprint results from the DOJ and FBI. We highly recommend that you get fingerprinted prior to the exam to avoid delays in receiving your license once you have passed your exam.
Step 3: Pass a California insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your state licensing exam is provided by PSI Services. When you make your reservation for the exam, you will be required to pay the exam fee using a credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit www.psiexams.com.
- Phone: Call (877) 392-6422.
- Fax: Send your registration form via fax to (702) 932-2666. Then call PSI at (800) 733-9267 after four business days to schedule your exam.
- Mail: Send your registration form and the appropriate exam fee via mail to:
- PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration CA INS, 3210 E Tropicana, Las Vegas, NV 89121
- Then call PSI at (800) 733-9267 after two business weeks to schedule your exam.
What to bring to your exam
You must bring a current, signed form of identification that is government-issued (driver’s license, military ID, or state-issued ID) and contains your current photo. Your name must exactly match the name you use to register for the exam. If you won’t be able to provide the required identification, call (800) 733-9267 at least three weeks prior to your scheduled exam to discuss your options.
You should arrive at your test center 30 minutes prior to the exam so that you have plenty of time to verify your identification and have your photograph taken.
Special PSI rules you should know
- Talking to other candidates, exiting the building during the exam, smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room.
- Jackets, coats and hooded clothing is prohibited, and you will be asked to empty your pockets before entering the exam.
California insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of a general section that covers basic insurance product knowledge and a state section that covers the insurance laws, regulations, rules, and practices of California.
- The passing score required on the exam is 60. As soon as you complete the exam, you will receive your score report that indicates whether you passed or failed. If you pass, you will receive an exam results letter that provides you with a performance summary. Should you fail, you will receive a diagnostic report that shows you where you did well and where you fell short on each section of the exam.
Note: Each exam includes a mix of “pretest” questions and scored questions. The pretest questions are not identified throughout the exam, and the answers may not have been discussed in your education course. Answers to pretest questions will not affect your score.
Step 4: Apply for a California insurance license
After passing the exam, apply for your California insurance license by completing an application at http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0010-producer-online-services/0100-flash/.
For more information regarding California insurance license requirements, contact the California Department of Insurance.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business