This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the Massachusetts insurance license requirements established by the Massachusetts Division of Insurance. We recommend you contact the Massachusetts Division of Insurance for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete a Massachusetts insurance pre-licensing course
To sell insurance in Massachusetts, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the Massachusetts Division of Insurance.
Once you have completed your Massachusetts insurance pre-licensing course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. The course is valid for one year from your date of completion. Within one year of completing the course, you must pass your Massachusetts insurance license exam.
Step 2: Pass a Massachusetts insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your licensing exam is provided by Prometric. When you make your reservation for the exam, you will be required to pay the exam fee using a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks will not be accepted. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/insurance/Pages/massachusetts.aspx.
- Phone: Call (800) 741-9380.
- Fax: Send to (800) 347-9242. Once you have submitted your registration and payment and the registration has been processed, call (800) 741-9380 to schedule your exam.
- Mail: Submit your registration form and payment to:
- Prometric, ATTN: MA Insurance Exam Registration, 3110 Lord Baltimore Dr., Ste. 200, Windsor Mill, MD 21244
- Then call (800) 741-9380 to schedule your exam.
What to bring to your exam
You must bring a current, signed form of identification that is government-issued (driver’s license, military ID, or state-issued ID) and contains your current photo and signature. Your name must exactly match the name you use to register for the exam.
You should arrive at your test center 30 minutes prior to the exam so that you have plenty of time to verify your identification and have your photograph taken.
Massachusetts insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of a general section that covers basic insurance product knowledge and a state section that covers the insurance laws, regulations, rules, and practices of Massachusetts.
- The passing score required on the exam is 70. As soon as you complete the exam, your score will appear on the screen and you will receive a printed score report that indicates whether you passed or failed, your overall percentage score, and the percentage you got correct on each of the sections. Within two business days, Prometric will send your exam results to the Division of Insurance.
Note: Each exam includes a mix of “experimental” questions and scored questions. The experimental questions are not identified throughout the exam, and the answers may not have been discussed in your education course. Answers to experimental questions will not affect your score.
Step 3: Apply for a Massachusetts insurance license
Once you’ve passed the exam, apply for your Massachusetts insurance license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com.
For more information regarding Massachusetts insurance license requirements, contact the Massachusetts Division of Insurance.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business