This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the New York insurance license requirements established by the New York Department of Financial Services. We recommend you contact the New York Department of Financial Services for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete a New York insurance pre-licensing course
To sell insurance in New York, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the New York Department of Financial Services.
Once you have completed your New York insurance pre-licensing course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. In New York, pre-licensing education does not expire. Once you’ve received your pre-licensing Certificate of Completion, you must pass your New York insurance license exam.
Note: A state-approved monitor must monitor you taking the Certification Exam. If you take an in-classroom course, you will be able to take the exam at the end of your class. If you take the course online, visit www.dfs.ny.gov to contact a state-approved monitor and schedule a monitoring session.
Step 2: Pass a New York insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your state licensing exam is provided by Prometric. When you make your reservation, you will be required to pay the exam fee using a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks will not be accepted. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/insurance/Pages/newyork.aspx.
- Phone: Call (800) 324-7147.
- Fax: Send to (800) 347-9242. Once you have submitted your registration and payment and the registration has been processed, call (800) 324-7147 to schedule your exam.
- Mail: Submit your registration form and payment to:
- Prometric, ATTN: NY Insurance Program, 7941 Corporate Drive, Nottingham, MD 21236
- Then call (800) 324-7147 to schedule your exam.
What to bring to your exam
You must bring a current, signed form of identification that is government-issued (driver’s license, military ID, or state-issued ID) and contains your current photo. Your name must exactly match the name you use to register for the exam.
You should arrive at your test center 30 minutes prior to the exam so that you have plenty of time to verify your identification and have your photograph taken.
New York insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of a general section that covers basic insurance product knowledge and a state section that covers the insurance laws, regulations, rules, and practices of New York.
- The passing score required on the exam is 70. As soon as you complete the exam, your score will appear on the screen and you will receive a printed score report that indicates whether you passed or failed, your overall percentage score, and the percentage you got correct on each of the sections. Within two business days, Prometric will send your exam results to the Department of Financial Services.
Step 3: Apply for a New York insurance license
Once you’ve passed the exam, apply for your New York insurance license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.
For more information regarding New York insurance license requirements, contact the New York Department of Financial Services.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business