This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the Pennsylvania insurance license requirements established by the Pennsylvania Insurance Department. We recommend you contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete a Pennsylvania insurance pre-licensing course
To sell insurance in Pennsylvania, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the Pennsylvania Insurance Department.
Once you have completed your Pennsylvania insurance pre-licensing course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. The course is valid for one year from your date of completion. Within one year of completing the course, you must pass your Pennsylvania insurance license exam.
Note: A disinterested third party (someone who is not a friend, family member, or financial connection to you) must monitor you taking the Certification Exam.
Step 2: Pass a Pennsylvania insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your exam is provided by PSI Services. When you make your reservation, you will be required to pay the exam fee using a credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit www.psiexams.com.
- Phone: Call (800) 733-9267.
- Fax: Send your registration form to (702) 932-2666. After four business days, call PSI at (800) 733-9267 to schedule your exam.
- Mail: Submit your registration form and the appropriate exam fee to:
- PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration PA INS, 3210 E Tropicana, Las Vegas, NV 89121
- Then, after two business weeks, call PSI at (800) 733-9267 to schedule your exam.
What to bring to your exam
You are required to bring one form of current signature identification, such as a driver’s license or passport, that includes both a photograph and a signature.
To enter the exam, you will also be required to provide a copy of your pre-licensing Certificate of Completion.
You should arrive at your test center 30 minutes prior to the exam so that you have plenty of time to verify your identification and have your photograph taken.
Special PSI rules you should know
- Talking to other candidates, exiting the building during the exam, smoking, eating, and drinking are prohibited.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room.
- Jackets, coats, and hooded clothing are prohibited, and you will be asked to empty your pockets before entering the exam.
Pennsylvania insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of a general section that covers basic insurance product knowledge and a state section that covers the insurance laws, regulations, rules, and practices of Pennsylvania.
- The passing score required on the exam is 70. As soon as you complete the exam, you will receive a score report that indicates whether you passed or failed. If you pass, you will receive an exam results letter that provides you with a performance summary. Should you fail, you will receive a diagnostic report that shows you where you did well and where you fell short on each section of the exam.
Note: Each exam includes a mix of “pretest” questions and scored questions. The pretest questions are not identified throughout the exam, and the answers may not have been discussed in your education course. Answers to pretest questions will not affect your score.
Step 3: Apply for a license and have your fingerprints documented
Once you’ve passed the exam, apply for your Pennsylvania insurance license at the kiosk located at your testing center. A Live Scan will be taken of your fingerprints, and both your application and fingerprints will be sent to the Department of Insurance. You must pay the license application fee and the fingerprinting fee at that time.
Note: If you leave the PSI testing facility without applying for your license, you will need to return to your PSI testing facility to have your fingerprints taken. You will need to show a copy of the application confirmation page when you have your fingerprints taken.
Step 4: Print your Pennsylvania insurance license
Check the status of your application at www.insurance.pa.gov. Once your Pennsylvania insurance license has been issued, print it directly from the website.
For more information regarding Pennsylvania insurance license requirements, contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business