This licensing information is designed to provide a summary of the South Dakota insurance license requirements established by the South Dakota Division of Insurance. We recommend you contact the South Dakota Division of Insurance for more detailed information or changes.
Step 1: Complete a South Dakota insurance pre-licensing course
To sell insurance or become an adjuster in South Dakota, you must complete an approved pre-licensing education course. All insurance pre-licensing courses provided by Insurance License Express are approved by the South Dakota Division of Insurance.
Once you have completed your South Dakota insurance pre-licensing course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. The course is valid for one year from your date of completion. Within one year of completing the course, you must pass your South Dakota insurance license exam.
Step 2: Pass a South Dakota insurance licensing exam
Make an exam reservation
Your state licensing exam is provided by Prometric. When you make your reservation, you will be required to pay the exam fee using a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks will not be accepted. You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/insurance/Pages/southdakota.aspx.
- Phone: Call (800) 864-8373.
- Fax: Send to (800) 347-9242. Once you have submitted your registration and payment and the registration has been processed, call (800) 864-8373 to schedule your exam.
- Mail: Submit your registration form and payment to:
- Prometric, ATTN: SD Insurance Program, 7941 Corporate Drive, Nottingham, MD 21236
- Then call (800) 864-8373 to schedule your exam.
What to bring to your exam
You must bring a current, signed form of identification that is government-issued (driver’s license, military ID, or state-issued ID) and contains your current photo. Your name must exactly match the name you use to register for the exam.
You should arrive at your test center 30 minutes prior to the exam so that you have plenty of time to verify your identification and have your photograph taken.
Note: You may not bring personal items such as purses, wallets, cell phones, or watches into the the testing room.
South Dakota insurance license exam format
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of a general section that covers basic insurance product knowledge and a state section that covers the insurance laws, regulations, rules, and practices of South Dakota.
- The passing score required on the exam is 70. As soon as you complete the exam, your score will appear on the screen and you will receive a printed score report that indicates whether you passed or failed, your overall percentage score, and the percentage you got correct on each of the sections. Within two business days, Prometric will send your exam results to the Division of Insurance.
Step 3: Apply for a South Dakota insurance license
Once you’ve passed the exam, apply for your South Dakota insurance license by completing an application at www.sircon.com/southdakota.
For more information regarding South Dakota insurance license requirements, contact the South Dakota Division of Insurance.
Securities License Requirements
Any securities professional associated with a member firm-including partners, officers, directors, branch managers, department supervisors, and salespersons-must register with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). The registration application requires information about the individual's prior employment and disciplinary history. FINRA prescribes two levels of qualification and registration:
Registered representatives, generally sales personnel
Principals, generally officers of the firm and other management personnel involved in the day-to-day operation of the firm's investment banking or securities business